Public Law

Book a free consultation


Public law concerns the relationship between branches of government and individual rights. Kings Cross Barristers offer an enormous wealth of expertise relating to public law, particularly judicial review challenges. In order to challenge a particular decision made by the government, it is necessary for the applicant to have sufficient standing, meaning a proximity to the effect of the decision being made. A challenge can be made to a public authority if it is serving a public function, this might include challenges made to the Secretary of State for the Home Department, Secretary of State for Health, or your local council authority, school or a range of other public bodies. Our public law barrister can provide advice on the procedure for judicial review, an advice on merits, issuing proceedings and representing you at court.

Judicial Review

Judicial Review is the process in which a court reviews a decision made by a public body. In order to judicially review a decision it is necessary to draft grounds for judicial review on the grounds that a decision is unlawful, irrational or procedurally improper. An applicant must have standing to make the application meaning that the Applicant has been sufficient proximity to the effect of the decision being made. Judicial Review is a very common way in which immigration and asylum law decisions are challenged. Such applications are made to the Upper Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber) using form T480. However, an application for judicial review can be made against any public authority, any in many case the application should be made to the High Court using form N461. Our public law barrister will be able to advise you on the correct procedure, draft grounds for judicial review, prepare the relevant paperwork, issue proceedings, instruct relevant experts and advocate at judicial review permission hearings or full judicial review hearings.

Kings Cross Barristers closed on 1st October 2019. As such, we will no longer be taking on new work. If you are a previous client and require assistance, please email