Visitor Visa

If you want to visit the UK but are not a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you may need to apply for a Visitor Visa.

The Standard Visitor Visa has replaced the previous categories of visitor visas. This includes visits to the UK for leisure, business, participation in sporting and creative events, visiting family members and receiving private medical treatment. You will usually be granted 6 months stay in the UK. This can be extended under certain circumstances.

There is no longer a right of appeal for refused visitor visa applications unless there are issues raised concerning the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR). This means it is extremely important to ensure the application is made correctly in the first place. Having an experienced immigration lawyer to guide you through the complex application process can be the difference between success and failure. Alternatively, if a refusal is unlawful there may be a possibility of challenging the decision by way of judicial review. Our immigration law barrister can advise at all stages of the process of obtaining a visitor visa to come to the UK.


Book a free consultation

Kings Cross Barristers closed on 1st October 2019. As such, we will no longer be taking on new work. If you are a previous client and require assistance, please email